Welcome to ToNH! We're a timeless, boundless roleplay based on a fictional hovering island named Nebula Heights, and we're always looking for new members to expand on the possibilities. ToNH's main plot is sketchy as best - because you are the explorers that will make the plot what it is. The more you explore and have your character interact with the environment, the more likely you'll set the ball rolling on another subplot...

Authenti | Site Owner/Admin

Kass | Global Moderator
Season: Summer
---
Males: 9
Females: 9
N/A: 2
All characters who are currently on the island will hear this once, at whichever time is most convenient. Those sleeping will hear it in their dreams; anyone in a dangerous situation will hear it when they are safe again. You don't need to copy it out in your post, though you can if you want to.

"Greetings, strangers, and welcome to Nebula Heights. My name is Phasma. Thank you to those who discovered my temple; in locating the Awakening orb, you have taken the first step towards revitalising this world. Your purpose is as yet unknown to you, but you would do well to continue making life force tributes at this altar. It is your choice whether or not to trust me. Until I regain the energy that has faded over the years, and my powers over this world reawaken, I will remain dormant. Good luck to you."

Rough Landing [Complete]

Go down

Rough Landing [Complete]

Post  sami on Sat 29 May 2010, 3:51 am

"Nyaaah!"

Tao let out a cry as he tumbled through the air, landing with a splash in a small lake. He went to gasp for air, but all his lungs could find was water. He coughed and spluttered three feet below the surface, emptying his lungs and letting his gills flap open. His white tail twitched agitatedly and his bright orange eyes darted around, searching. The lake bottom was still several dozen feet below him, but he could see where it rose, a sheer underwater cliff. His flat nostrils flared, and his tall pointed ears rotated like little satellites.

Spotting nothing out of the ordinary, he did a little flip and propelled himself to the surface. A gentle breeze rustled the tall grass lining the lake, and a little gazebo stood on stone pillars to Tao's left. He shook out his seaweed green hair, the little droplets sparkling in the sun. The only thing he wore was a necklace of woven yarn, and this he touched gently with a forefinger as he stared, confused, at the misty sky. This place smelled strange. Tao didn't like it. His ears rotated back and forth, as if they were looking for something.

sami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rough Landing [Complete]

Post  Authenti on Sat 29 May 2010, 6:05 pm

Far below the surface, resting on the lake bed among the silt and water plants, a dark shape stirred. Something had disturbed her rest, and although she wasn't angry, she was confused.
Sail had flown in circles and lines and soars and dives all over the island skies, dizzying herself and getting entirely lost as she searched for a way back out of the fog she'd accidentally flown through. She found none, and had decided to make the most of this little paradise, taking a quick nap under the lake once she'd realised there was no one else here. But now, there was. And she wanted to know who.

The lake surface rippled briefly and then a curious pale-blue scaled head rose above it, blue eyes glimmering as the light reflected off the water around her. Sail turned her attention to the odd creature floating ahead of her, its back to her, and decided to make her presence known.
"Good day," she tried, hoping she wasn't going to scare him half to death. She knew dragons generally weren't the least imposing of creatures, but hopefully with only her head in view she would look less intimidating.
Authenti
Admin

View user profile http://authenti@googlemail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sami on Sun 30 May 2010, 12:36 am

Tao's ears flew flat against his head, and he turned with a snarl to see the creature behind him. Its scaled face looked welcoming, but anything that could sneak up on Tao was a danger. He gazed at it shyly for a moment before his curiosity overcame him and he dived underwater to get a closer look.

A scaly blue tail swished back and forth, and powerful hind legs treaded water. Tao had never seen a creature like this before. He swam up next to it and sniffed, baffled. It smelled like water snakes and prey birds at the same time. Two of his favorite foods. He couldn't resist, he opened his mouth wide and chomped down on the creature's tail.

sami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Authenti on Sun 30 May 2010, 1:40 am

Sail dipped her head underwater to better watch the odd stranger as he swam about, noting his interest and smiling. She was expecting more negative attention when he'd growled at her like that, but it seemed he was harmless...

A prickling feeling and a pressure in her tail made her freeze, sinking slightly in the water, and then her expression changed to a more irritated one. She slid her tailtip around to nose-level so she could view what exactly he was doing back there. It felt like needles or something - painful, but not unbearably so. The dragon frowned at him and nudged his side with the tip of her serrated beak, hoping to dislodge him without making too much of a fuss.

She'd learnt her lesson about thrashing wildly the last time a wild animal got hold of her - it usually just made them cling tighter.
Authenti
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sami on Sun 30 May 2010, 2:59 am

Tao's orange eyes darted to one side to see the creature nudging him gently. Its eyes were irritated, but more like a resigned patience than a building rage. Tao felt something funny in his gut. He let go of the tail and floated with his mouth still open wide. One kick of his legs, and he was rocketing to the lakebed. He twined around himself behind a clump of weed and watched the water with a startled gaze. He knew he had offended the creature, but he was just so hungry...

Suddenly he could see the fish darting along in the muck. His ears perked curiously.

sami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Authenti on Sun 30 May 2010, 4:10 am

Sail broke off her stare as the strange newcomer let go of her tail, and nuzzled the small tooth-marks carefully before turning her head to watch the odd creature's antics.
Why would it bite her? It hadn't looked afraid or angry at her, just... perhaps slightly distracted. By what? Sail let herself sink to the lakebed and made a 'C'-shape with her body, glittering eyes fixed on the patch of water-weed where she knew the stranger was hiding.
A shoal of tiny, silvery fish clouded her vision briefly and she snapped at them - not biting them, just warning them off...
Yes, perhaps that was it. She wondered if she'd looked edible. That might have been the creature's motive. She rose, and walked along the silty floor, approaching the creature and unintentionally looming and casting a shadow over him. Sail watched him inquisitively with friendly eyes, heedless of her perhaps threatening size and stance.
Authenti
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sami on Sun 30 May 2010, 4:35 am

The shadow looming over Tao went temporarily unnoticed as he focused on the fish. His tail waved back and forth as he crouched. But something startled the fish away, causing Tao to look up and see the creature's blue eyes glinting down at him. He hissed, and his tail bristled as he tried to press himself into the lakebed. He had made a fatal mistake: letting himself get backed into a corner.

sami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Authenti on Sun 30 May 2010, 1:56 pm

Sail normally knew better than to try and speak underwater, but that didn't stop her accidentally opening her mouth and expelling a stream of bubbles. They wobbled upwards, silvery surfaces bursting when they met air. She tilted her head to the side as she watched them go, then glanced back down at the stranger and offered a kindly smile before kicking off from the lake bed, stirring up clouds of silt, and swimming quickly towards a small shoal of fish at the opposite end of the lake.
She snapped at them clumsily and, with some effort, managed to trap a few in her sharp jaws (along with a clog of waterweed). As she munched happily on them, she cast a mischievous eye back around the lake, scanning it for a sign of the stranger. Perhaps he would understand her example and realise she meant no harm.
Sail was apparently oblivious to the fact that she'd just scared away his meal... but there were plenty more fish in the sea... well, lake.
Authenti
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kass on Sun 30 May 2010, 2:47 pm

A shrill scream erupted from the clouds above the island, suddenly with a humanoid shape coming into focus as Kass hurtled down at an incredible speed, towards the lake below her. Perhaps falling over the edge wasn't a good thing to have done, but it certainly gave her some inlook onto the physics of said island.

Flying down, she stopped screaming and closed her eyes as she finally reached the water. The force from her fall sending her directly to the bottom and causing a large wave as she broke the surface. Her body stung with pain as she span on the bottom of the lake, spinning so she was sat on the bottom and could face the surface above.

Opening her eyes slowly, her vision blurred, feeling faint she lifted her hand from the bottom, letting it drift in the water as she focused on it, her vision eventually coming into focus as well. Thankfully time lords had larger lung capacities than humans, so she could pull this off, but only for a while as long as she kept her mouth shut, at least long enough to get her head together.
Kass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sami on Mon 31 May 2010, 2:03 am

Tao was just about to swim tentatively over to the funny blue creature, and perhaps follow her example in catching some dinner, when something landed in front of him, stirring up the muck of the lakebed. He shied away again, eyes narrowed and ears at attention. His stomach grumbled. These interruptions were getting tiresome.

The new thing's hair floated around in the water, and it looked like a human, but it smelled funny. Kind of like old people. And stars. Or what Tao imagined a star might smell like, he'd never been to one before.

sami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bocephus on Mon 31 May 2010, 8:44 am

A sudden breeze gusted through and a young, musical sounding female voice echoed around sail (Sorry, Tao's a monster and Kass is underwater :P) "Hello there! My name is Ansrana Kethian, mage of the elven city of Liadon. If you know anything about this place, I would appreciate it if you would come to the forest and tell me. And don't worry...this spell is set to avoid hostilities. If you know anything, anything at all, please contact me in some way. Ta!"
Bocephus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Authenti on Mon 31 May 2010, 1:53 pm

Sail swept her tail upwards, propelling herself back below the surface to see if she couldn't get over there and further encourage the strange water creature to trust her. She blinked back shock, however, as something hit the water with a resounding crash and spilled bubbles to the surface.
Instinctively, her helmet slid down to cover her eyes briefly as she recoiled and her head burst above the surface of the water, then inched back to let her see what had just happened. A human?

...No. Not quite. There was something odd about this being. Intriguing, though the interest was short-lived as a strange voice pierced the air. Sail shook her head, at first assuming she'd gotten water in her ears, but calmed down quickly.

Sail poked her beak underwater and scanned the lakebed, then dove to carefully wedge her tail beneath the human-that-wasn't-a-human and attempt to raise it to the surface. She wasn't sure about this one, but for most humans, that much water wasn't good for them.
I can fly... Perhaps the strange speaker will find my aerial view helpful. She determined to set off for the forest as soon as she was able.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kass on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 12:29 am

Kass flinched as Sail approached, calming down as she realised what she was doing. Smiling at her, she used the shove to propell herself, kicking her feet in the dense water to dart herself up to the surface. Breaking the surface, she gasped for breath, exhaling deeply before breathing at a normal rate again. She tred in the water, hoping for the creature to come up also so she could thank it properly.
Kass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sami on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 5:56 am

Tao squared his shoulders and made to stalk out and greet the strangers, but a wave of shyness overcame him, so he merely slunk along on the lakebed, sniffing for food.

That creature, though, the new one... It smelled funny. Not like anything Tao had seen before.

Curiosity threatened to strangle him, overpowering even his shyness and fear. He kicked for the surface, gills closing again as he reached open air.

sami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Authenti on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 6:05 am

Sail blew a few bright, small bubbles out of her jaws as the newcomer used her tail as a springboard; she used the kickback from it to push her tailtip downwards and propel herself back up so her head rose above the water's glittering surface.
"You are not a flier," she remarked suddenly, beak clacking together with every consonant. "Or a water-breather. Be careful!" She nudged her beak upwards to indicate she meant the fall from the sky.

A quiet movement of water indicated the amphibian one had surfaced to join them, and Sail turned her head to face him, the corners of her jaws turning up into a crooked smile. "Greetings! We have not spoken, but I say now that I am not edible!" She chuckled at this and drifted slightly closer to the more human-looking one. "I am going to the bank so that I may fly, or my wings would get wet. You may hitch a lift, if you are not a good swimmer."

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sami on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 6:19 am

Tao let a small smile creep over his face. His tail waved relaxedly behind him, stirrung up small ripples in the water.

"I-i-i..." He stuttered slowly. He didn't speak much, and as such was inexperienced and bad at finding words. "Tao. Who are you?" These were the two phrases he knew best. Well, that and "don't touch me". He blew childish bubbles in the water and laughed as they tickled his flat nose.

sami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kass on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 10:00 pm

Kass pushed her wet fringe off her face, the water causing it to stick to her face. She grinned as the two creatures began to converse. "Name's Kass" She replied, "And that lift sounds nice." Now using her arms to keep her up as she began to tire in the water. She panted and spinned in the water to look at the shore, flashing a grin at Tao as she caught his line of sight before turning back to face Sail, "Thanks, as long as you don't mind."
Kass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Authenti on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 10:34 pm

With another sweep of her tail, Sail pushed under the water, forwards and upwards, her wing-guards and shoulders rising out of the water directly beneath Kass.
"We are learning names! It is good to know each other. I am Sail." She smiled brightly at both of her new 'friends' and kicked her feet powerfully under the water, setting off for the shore; when her claws finally hit silt she planted them firmly on the lakebed and stood up, wading the last few metres out of the water and onto the grass.
"I heard a voice," she began suddenly, head cocked to one side and voice raised to carry to the other water-dweller in case he chose not to follow them; "that told me to go to the forest. So I am going there. But I may not stay long; I like trees when they are alone but not many in one place, because it is hard to move around." She lowered herself to the ground to allow Kass to step off, if she so wished. "This is not a problem for people. And you are people. I believe I can carry you there."
She didn't consider these two to be 'hostile' like the message had said, but then it was hard to get Sail to think of anything negatively.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sami on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 2:46 am

Tao gazed at the blue creature and mouthed 'Sail', then at the one that smelled of stars and mouthed 'Kass'. He watched them swim for shore, circled once in the middle of the lake, then, with a regretful glance at the two on shore, sunk back under the water to find some lunch.

sami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kass on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 1:34 pm

Kass didn't move from Sail's back. "If you're fine with it, it'll sure be handy for me" She said, grinning at her. Turning her head, she looked over at Tao to see for his response and tilted her head with a sad expression as she saw him go back under the water. "Well, it looks like it's just us to then, eh Sail?" She commented with a faint smile, trying to make light of the situation. "Unless you want to try and talk to him or something. I would but as you know i'm not exactly the best of swimmers" She suggested, finishing with a chuckle at herself.
Kass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Authenti on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 3:25 pm

Sail rose again once it became clear the human-ish thing had no intention of hopping down. Accordingly, her wing guards pivoted upwards and a pair of vast, feathered wings uncurled from beneath them, stretching several times and giving an experimental flap.

"I have no way of knowing if the owner of the voice is on the move. We should hurry. We may find the strange fish person later - this island is quite small," she added with a smile, seemingly unknowing of the problems that might arise from being stuck on the island. "Hold on tightly. Dragon flight is swift."

With that, she crouched down, wings poised, and kicked off the floor. She caught herself before momentum ran out and, with a series of powerful wingbeats, carried her passenger high into the air (assuming, of course, she stayed on that long)...

"You may wish not to look down," she called over the wind, "but it is a good opportunity to see this place from the skies."

{ Sail will be leaving this thread now :3 I'm assuming you'll follow, Kass? I'll be in a new forest thread. They already have a lot of people there so we can say Sail got lost |D }

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kass on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 4:02 pm

Kass clung on to the dragon, eyes watering from the air movements. "Bloody hell!" She chirped, but in a excited tone, as she hung on. "Well i've never done this before!" She exclaimed, glancing all around at the sights from being so far up in the air. The vast view of the Island was beautiful, but she couldn't help but feel wary. There was something about this island she didn't like, and she was going to find out what it was if it liked it or not.

(Yup, Kass is leaving too. I'll follow you into the new thread. C: But Crewe is now in the Gazebo which is right by the lake if you want to go talk to him Tao xD)
Kass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sami on Thu 03 Jun 2010, 3:11 am

[well, I think we can call this thread officially done then ^^]

sami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Authenti on Thu 03 Jun 2010, 3:46 am

[ Agreed. Locked and marked to avoid confusion. :3 ]